This is Magnet Biology's blog for the web site www.thinkdolearn.com. Post new links, comment about materials I've made, or the flash animations I've chosen. Everything you post is public.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

DNA Model Assignment

DUE: Monday April 17

Checklist:
Has four rungs minimum
All parts are labeled (one set, or a legend)
One nucleotide is circled and labeled
It must be three dimensional

Mr. Martin

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you show us an example of how it should turn out. the one in the book is too complicated and i dont understand its structure.


this is Shakira(its not taking my password)

3:11 PM

 
Blogger jm said...

Candi: what do you mean by "room overnight"? The other grades should be in this upcoming progress report (grades due Friday).

Shakira: unfortunately I don't have any student samples, but I used to before the renovation. You cannot put a price on a lot of what we lost.
I did a google image search for "DNA model" to see if I could finmd any good ones.

Here is a 2D one...twist it to make it 3D: http://waynesword.palomar.edu/dna1.htm

Here are some 3D models:
http://faculty.clintoncc.suny.edu/faculty/Michael.Gregory/files/Bio%20101/Bio%20101%20Lectures/Biochemistry/biochemi.htm
http://passion4science.blogspot.com/
(scroll down to see the models, its a long blog)
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2005/10/revealed_how_to.html
(a knitted model!)

And Watson and Crick's original:
http://osulibrary.orst.edu/specialcollections/coll/pauling/dna/pictures/dna-model.html

BTW: Googling "making a dna model" with a regular search netted 2,000,000 results. I'm sure one will be helpful.

Good luck!

Mr. Martin

9:43 PM

 
Blogger jm said...

Can we use a kit or does everything have to done by us?
I prefer not from a kit, but if the kit requires you to construct, and label, and you learn from it then OK. If by kit you mean its premade already and prelabeled, and it doesn't seem like a fair bit of learning takes place then no. Most kits are probably OK, and you'll be fine as far as the rubric is concerned. Can you show me a link to the kit on the web?

-When you said "4 rungs" does that mean 2 of G and C and 2 of A and T?
No, but you must have at least one G, one C, one A, and one T. With four rungs there will be more of some than others.

-How can one nucleotide be circled and labled if it is 3-dimensional?
Good point. This used to be a 2D project with construction paper. Easier to do. Somehow, clearly identify a nucleotide. Use the legend, if need be, and that part can be 2D. Or identify it separately. Or identify it clearly on the model itself.


-If your model doesn't stand, do you need a stand?

No, maybe we could hang it from the ceiling tiles. Works for Fred.

I know its a lot of questions but I'm trying to get a good grade..

Define "a lot". Thats fine, these are good questions.

8:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are all the parts beside A, T, C, G, and the nucleotides?

Is the nucleotide made up of nitrogen base sugar and phosphate group?

This is Symone by the way. I forgot my password

4:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if we do use a kit and it gives us the pieces to build and dosent alredy come premade then how would you be able to determine that?

SHAKIRA H.

7:54 AM

 
Blogger jm said...

what are all the parts beside A, T, C, G, and the nucleotides?

Is the nucleotide made up of nitrogen base sugar and phosphate group?


ACTG are the nitrogen bases. Check your notes, the book, the Internet to see what makes up a nucleotide.

9:28 AM

 
Blogger jm said...

I've never had students trn in a "kit" before. I guess we'll see when they come in and I'll make a determination then about their value for future years. For this year, kits are fine; the point is to construct a model and construct knowledge.

9:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can the model be flat, on foam board and raise up off of the paper as well.

7:57 PM

 
Blogger jm said...

Sure, I guess...is it a 3D double helix?

8:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do we have to have to present our projects? can we turn it in before 1st period on monday? ( if you get an A on the project how much will it raise your grade?

this is Amal.. i really didn't feel like signing in to this website..

9:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the model have to turn or can it be standing straight up like a ladder?

Also i ran out of colors so for my adenine has two colors n my guanine has two colors and so forh, is that ok?

Symone

9:39 PM

 
Blogger jm said...

Amal: do we have to have to present our projects?
no

can we turn it in before 1st period on monday?
yes so you don't carry it all day. don't forget to put your name on it.

( if you get an A on the project how much will it raise your grade?

That depends on your current project grade. If you already have a 100 in project grades, then another 100 will not raise your grade at all, but anything less will lower it. If you have a zero on a project, then a 100 will raise your grade.

this is Amal.. i really didn't feel like signing in to this website..
Never tell your teacher, anyone, really, that you were too lazy to do something. You should always at least give the appearance that whatever you are doing is the most important thing in the world to you. Otherwise, I may say "why bother" and decide not to respond....For one thing, it's an easy grade, at least act like you are getting something out of it. For another, I put a lot of thought into my responses because I feel they do some good.

9:51 PM

 
Blogger jm said...

Does the model have to turn or can it be standing straight up like a ladder?
It should turn, I need to know that you know what I mean by double helix.

Also i ran out of colors so for my adenine has two colors n my guanine has two colors and so forh, is that ok?
As long as you indicate it on your key, or however you label the pieces.

10:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you mean when you said is it a 3D double helix

7:24 AM

 
Blogger jm said...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/3d

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_helix

10:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am i supposed to label the sides phosphates or are they nucleotides?

also is it okay if our model is x-shaped, and does it have to stand up? its still 3D but u have to hold it.

SHAKIRA

12:45 PM

 
Blogger jm said...

am i supposed to label the sides phosphates or are they nucleotides?

Define nucleotide. Check the web site, and in the powerpoints you will find the answer.It should be in your notes.

also is it okay if our model is x-shaped, and does it have to stand up? its still 3D but u have to hold it.
No, it does not have to stand up, it has to be properly shaped in 3 dimensions.

3:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you say it was okay if your model was X-shaped?
Sasha

9:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home